Author and coach, Barbara Stanny, came up with the great list below that will help you realize when you are in resistance. In other words, when your inner-critic, or the part of your brain that’s “chicken,” is full-on raging and keeping you from achieving the career life you deserve.
If you’ve had any of the ideas below go through your head when considering a career move, take note. Becoming aware of the thoughts that keep you in your comfort zone is the first step to being able to move past them.
Out yourself to us in the comments below and stay tuned in for tomorrow’s post where we will talk about why resistance shows up.
1. You’re too busy. “I have no time.”
2. You procrastinate. “I’ll do it later.”
3. You’re scared into inaction. “Omygawd, what if…?”
4. You defer decisions. “You do it; you decide.”
5. You lose interest. “This is boring, it’s not my thing.”
6. You’re forgetful. “Oh, I meant to, but I forgot.”
7. You’re disorganized. “Where did I put that…?”
8. You fog up, space out. “What are you talking about?”
9. You feel paralyzed. “I just can’t think or get going.”
10. You find reasons not to act. “I can’t because…”
11. You’re impatient. “This is taking way too long.”
12. You keep running into naysayers. Other people say, “You can’t do that,” “That’s not possible.” This form of resistance is especially sneaky. You project your own fear out onto others.